Tuesday, April 5, 2016

My Garden Visits -- Weather or Not !

Whether I visit my garden or not is always up to the weather!


Last week, we were hit hard with a spring blizzard. 
It started snowing during the early hours 
and didn't slow down until 16 inches of the white fluffy stuff had dumped on us.
It was beautiful but I worried about my plants.


The week before we had enjoyed 70 degree weather with sunny blue skies. 
I thought we had seen the last of winter but Mother Nature fooled me again.


I should have listened to the Canada geese as they glided across the sky in a big "V"
above my garden. Aren't they supposed to head south before winter?
Guess they knew winter weather was still headed our way
and they were hightailing it out of Dodge.


Now, a few days later, most of the snow has melted and it's a soggy mess. 
I wonder if the perennials I had just cut back survived 
and if the Wichita Blue Junipers that had been plastered flat on the ground will spring back up.
This tree in a nearby park wasn't so lucky. 


A few years ago we had an unseasonable hard freeze 
that killed many shrubs and fruit trees in Denver. 
We lost an ornamental plum and our big crabapple tree's blossoms got nipped and turned brown. 
Which meant no blooms. Not one. So sad.
But the tree seemed to have recovered this year and was filled with tight rosy buds on each limb.
I hope the buds will bloom when it warms up.


Will everything come back with renewed vigor? 
I try to remember that struggles often make us stronger. 

26 comments:

  1. Oh my. It's beautiful but I'm glad to be here in Texas. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stacey. It's supposed to be 65 here tomorrow--typical springtime in Colorado. Are your bluebells blooming yet? (or are they blue bonnets?) They must be gorgeous!

      Delete
  2. Lovely snow. I can't wait to see what is under all that snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Grantham. The snow has melted quickly (the sun at mile high is pretty effective.) So far everything looks good. Hope you visit again soon.

      Delete
  3. This is so very pretty. Of course I grew up in Idaho and my memories of snow are very magical, not practical! But all of the snow will melt and make gorgeous blooms. I just bet you have a beautiful Lilac and some peonies that are glorious spring masterpieces.
    Thank you so much for sharing this with us today at Thoughts Of Home On Thursday.
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your sweet comments Jemma. Lilac is about to burst open but peonies have a while to go. I do have some pretty double tulips blooming. I'm so impatient!

      Delete
  4. Although it is beautiful, I am over it! We got snow too in Upstate NY but not as much as you did! My poor tulip leaves are trying to stand up straight. No gardening here yet but I am hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AnnMarie, I'm over it too! We're having rain today which I'll take over the white stuff anyday.

      Delete
  5. Oh, my! That's a lot of spring snow.

    We have much welcome rain today and hope it lasts the predicted 3 days.

    Thanks for sharing with SYC and have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're getting rain too. Everything looks like Ireland!! So green.

      Delete
  6. It's been crazy in Chicagoland, not dumps of snow but roller coasting temperatures and flurries, freezes and then 60? Hope everything survives. Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Sandi. I saw on the news that Chicago was getting severe weather. Hope all is hanging in there.

      Delete
  7. What a winter fairy wonderland! Your post is such a happy addition to Thoughts of Home on Thursday. Thank you SO much for sharing the joy.
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my. It's beautiful!! We are having summer temperatures here in West Romania. Very rarely we have such snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ramona! Thanks so much for visiting from Romania. Hope you stop by again soon.

      Delete
  9. Oh yuck! It is pretty but looks so cold! Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry. Double yuck! I'm over snow and want some sunshine!

      Delete
  10. Pat, I'm in Texas and we rarely get snow, but with our early spring this year I've been concerned that we could get a late freeze that would kill all the buds and blooms. Fortunately our tip in temps didn't get to freezing. Hope the best for your garden. Wishing you a happy spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sarah, so nice of you to stop by for a visit. It's supposed to be near 70 in Denver tomorrow. Yea! Glad your temps are staying above freezing.

      Delete

  11. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Pat,
    We got hit with that kind of snow over the weekend. The ground had been bare and now is covered with a blanket of snow again. Yuck! Hopefully this is the last of it but here on the east coast of Canada one never knows what to expect this time of year. I hope your plants come back for you. No sign of plants here yet because we've had more cold than mild weather. But soon... Thanks for sharing and linking up with me.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandi, hopefully the cold will be over soon. I'm so over it. Stay warm.

      Delete
  13. We know that we will have at least one storm like this here in UT in the spring. It sure does look lovely, but when your anxious for spring it's not always a welcome sight. :) Things should be fine and they will enjoy that large drink. lol! My crabapple is full of buds and I can't wait till they burst forth. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jann, welcome back from your trip. My crabapple is ready to burst too. Hugs,

      Delete
  14. It takes your breath away - it's a fairy tale wonderland. I stay in South Africa and I have never seen snow so it fascinates me. So beautiful <3

    ReplyDelete